It is HOT outside!! I hope you drank lots of water today and were eating light & healthy snacks! It might be a good idea to stay inside this weekend to escape this heat wave, however that doesn’t mean you can’t have fun! I was outside walking my dog, Knowme, this morning and as I passed the neighborhood fruit vendor, I saw a nice big watermelon!
Oooo, I love watermelon! This particular one was really big and round and reminded me of a pumpkin. This got me thinking…..I love carving pumpkins and who says October is the only time to have fun carving your food!? So, I decided to bring the watermelon to the studio with me and started thinking of fun things to make with my watermelon. Well, with this blazing weather I decided to create a refreshing watermelon oasis!
A Watermelon Oasis
Want to make your own Watermelon Oasis? Here’s how!
1. Cut ¼ inch off the oblong side of the watermelon to create a stable base.
2. Place the watermelon on the counter.
3. Hold the watermelon firmly and slice off the top so that you can remove the inside of the watermelon.
4. Use a melon baller to scoop out the fruit and set aside.
5. With a washable marker, draw wave shapes onto the watermelon.
6. Carefully cut the waves out with a carving knife.
7. Put the melon balls back into the watermelon.
8. Make palm trees by cutting leaves from paper and taping the leaves to straws.
9. Position your trees inside the watermelon (see picture).
10. To make the pool, place a small container like bowl or a small cup into the watermelon balls. Fill it with water you have colored blue with food coloring – or fill with blue Jello for added fun!
Add props from around your house. I added Lilo (one of my favorite cartoon characters from Disney’s Lilo and Stitch), a little ceramic fish that my sister made for me as well as some adorable little plastic creatures. You can add anything to your watermelon oasis that makes you smile!!
I feel cooler already! Not only did I have fun carving my watermelon, I got to eat and share this treat with everyone at the studio too!
Even Knowme got in on the watermelon treat!
I hope you have a good weekend! Have fun, stay cool and happy scribbling!