New Years Scribblutions!
Happy New Years everybody! Did you make any resolutions for 2013? I’m not one to make a ton of resolutions, but I do think the beginning of a new year is a great built-in checkpoint in life—a time to ask, “Am I happy?” “Am I living the life I want?” “What can I do to make it better?” For me, I’m usually looking for more ways I can incorporate creativity into my everyday schedule. Below are some ideas to lead a more creative and artistic life this year. They don’t have to be concrete resolutions, but rather some fun goals or guidelines to give a try!
1. Scribble something every day… a doodle, a whole picture, a silly note… anything! This ensures time for a little creativity in your daily routine.
2. Keep an art journal. This could take the place of your daily scribble session.
3. Try a new medium you’ve never worked in before. Always wanted to try pastels or watercolors? Now’s the time!
4. Organize your arts and crafts area. Clear out any dried up or empty markers and containers, separate your supplies into categories… perhaps put them in bins or baskets. This helps keep your space clean and makes it easier to find things.
5. Try to use what you already have. Instead of accumulating tons of half-empty containers of glitter or glue and just buying new ones, see if you can find a way or create a project to use up any leftover craft supplies.
6. Try creating something out of only recycled materials—newspapers, cardboard, cans, bottles, etc.
7. Sign up for an art class in something you’ve wanted to try. Perhaps pottery, oil painting, sewing, or figure drawing. It’s always a good time to learn something new!
8. Instead of buying something for your room or house… see if you can DIY it first! Is your dresser looking shabby or you want a different color? Repaint it!
9. Once a week, take a little time to learn about a new artist. It can even be just a few minutes. Go on the internet or grab a book and learn a bit about the work of someone who interests you. It’ll really add up!
10. See more art! Every so often, go to a museum, local gallery, or crafts fair. It’s great for inspiration.
Are you going to try any of these this year? Do you have your own fun goals for a more creative 2013? Please share them here!
And from the whole Scribble team, we wish you a happy, healthy, and creative new year!